Apple Mac Initial Setup Guide
How to Set Up An Apple MacBook or iMac
- Start Your Mac: Press the power button to turn on your Mac.
- You'll see a welcome screen asking you to choose your main language. Click on your preferred language and then click on the arrow to go to the next step.
- Select Your Country or Region: Click on your country or region and then click Continue.
This option will set the format of dates, currencies, temperature and more.
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network: Select your Wi-Fi network from the list, enter the password, and then click Continue.
If you want to set up your Mac without connecting to Wi-Fi, click Other Network Options, then click Continue.
- Transfer Information to This Mac: If you want to move data from another Mac or Windows PC to this Mac, you can do so here.
This option will transfer data such as files, contacts, accounts, and more from a Windows PC or another Mac.
If you prefer to start fresh, select Not Now to continue the setup process.
- Sign in with Your Apple ID: Enter your Apple ID and password. If you don't have an Apple ID, click Create new Apple ID and follow the prompts.
If you prefer to do this later, select Set Up Later to continue the setup process.
Note: After you’ve signed in with your Apple ID, read the terms and conditions. To accept, check the box, then click Agree and proceed.
- Create a Computer Account: Enter a full name, account name, password, and password hint for your user account. Click "Continue".
- Express Setup: Apple will show you a screen with settings it recommends for your Mac. If you’re okay with these, click Continue. If not, click Customise Settings.
- Analytics: Choose whether you want to share analytics with Apple. Click Continue.
- Set Up Siri: Siri is Apple's voice recognition feature. Click Continue to set it up, or uncheck the Enable Ask Siri box, and click Continue.
- Choose Your Look: Choose between Light, Dark, or Auto (changes based on time of day) and click Continue.
- Your Mac will finalise your settings and take you to the desktop.
- Updates: Navigate to the Software Update menu to install all of the latest system updates for your Mac.
Go to the Apple menu in the top left hand corner of your screen, choose System Settings. Click General in the sidebar, then click Software Update on the right.
Check the box next to Automatically keep my Mac up to date, then select Update Now.
- Once the updates have finished installing, you can now go ahead and install your apps. Congratulations, you've now set up your Mac!